Module 3 - Visibility Analysis





This week, I completed four exercises under the ESRI course 'Get Started with Visibility Analysis.' These four exercises were: Introduction to 3D Visualization, Performing Line of Sight Analysis, Performing Viewshed Analysis in ArcGIS Pro, and Sharing 3D Content Using Scene Layer Packages. These exercises were completed in lieu of a form lab assignment, but nonetheless offered critical skills and practice in an important topic in GIS capabilities. I took a great deal away from this week's assignment and inherently will utilize what I learned in future assignments and projects. I am excited to share what I have learned throughout this course and my overall takeaways of the assignment.

Working through these courses, completing the exercises, and taking the quizzes helped in solidifying my understanding of visibility analysis and 3D imagery. The strong focus on ArcGIS Pro and its capabilities was elemental in mastering this fairly new craft. I believe it is truly incredible how skilled this software is in showing local and global scenes, and think that this capability will only be expanded in future versions of the software. One notable downside of 3D scenes / packages is that they are often fairly data-heavy and can create extensive lagging and wait times. I was able to work around this by utilizing my university's virtual operating system, however this may not always be an option for others. Otherwise, I believe the pros far outweigh the cons in this approach and should be taken into full consideration when determining how one would like to conduct an analysis or solve a spatial problem.

Through the various exercises, I learned how to convert 2D data to 3D data, how to properly conduct a visibility analysis, and how to create 3D scenes and share them with others. 3D scenes are becoming increasingly important as our understanding of spatial relations grows. Through the introduction to 3D Visualization exercise, I learned to: utilize the navigate and explore tools to pan through 3D scenes, add elevations to items, use the Expression Builder to add extrusions to layers, and how to apply enhancements to local scenes. In the Performing Line of Sight Analysis exercises, I used the Constructing Sight Lines and Add Z Information geoprocessing tools to determine the line of sights between observers and parade routes in Philadelphia. In the Performing Viewshed Analysis in ArcGIS Pro exercise, I updated fields and used the Viewshed tool to model lighting for a new campground in New York. For the final exercise, Sharing 3D Content Using Scene Layer Packages, I learned what scene layer packages hold and how to share them with others of your choice.

The skills learned in this course are useful and can be applied to a line of fields and professions. For example, the fire watch towers analysis was important, as it it critical to have clear lines of sight from watch towers to ensure one may spot forest fires from these vantage points. Understanding and using the 3D capabilities in ArcGIS pro can allow Urban Planners to gain a new perspective on cities and use heights of buildings and other towers to design more sustainable, visually appealing urban centers. Knowing where objects are in relation to oneself, determining lines of sight, view sheds, and sharing this information is critical in today's day and age. I cannot wait to further expand upon my skillset in visibility analysis and use the tools and methods learned throughout this ESRI course.