M2 - Typography

 

Typographical Elements Incorporated in Map of Florida

This laboratory assignment involved creating a map of Florida that includes a multitude of pre-determined cities and water features. The emphasis of this lab was on typography, including the selection of suitable fonts, placements, etc. for different map features. I chose to utilize ArcGIS Pro in creating this map. For the labels, I chose a uniform font to ensure the map was aesthetically pleasing and easy to read. To create the labels, I mostly utilized the label tool of ArcGIS pro and adjusted the label symbology as needed. I also created annotations of the labels to manually alter the labels to suit the overall map design.

The first customization I made to my map was removing the Basemap. This was because the Basemap already had many cities and water features labeled and this hindered my final map layout. Removing the Basemap ultimately made my final product easier to read and less jumbled. Second, I added a callout for the Okefenokee Swamp. I did this because the name of the swamp would not be legible if I attempted fitting it inside the swamp borders, and this allowed for the viewer to easily read the name and know with which geographical feature it is associated with. Lastly, I changed the symbology of the Florida counties layer. I chose a light gray background with slightly darker gray borders. I chose this customization because it allowed for the labels to be easily read and resulted in the county borders not taking away from the overall map.