M5 - Supervised Classification

 

Supervised Classification Map of Germantown, Maryland
This lab was one of my favorites thus far, and involved a variety of new concepts/tools that are definitely very useful and powerful. I initially ran into troubles renaming my recoded classes, but I found that one must write the name of the recoded classes with their new class names before recoding. Other than this minor discrepancy, I enjoyed working through this assignment. I found it very important to use a band combination that has a large spectral difference to ensure there is little confusion within the classes. Secondly, I found it very important to use colors for the classes that are noticeably different from one another so that one may distinguish between classes in the image. I enjoyed using the distance image to find areas of the map that needed more signature to be added to ensure overall classification accuracy. One other minor issue I had was not having the 'Unclassified' class exist or appear in the legend, but this did not affect the map in anyway. I will definitely use the concepts from this lab in the future, and believe that both supervised and unsupervised classifications can be useful in a variety of realms.