M2 - Land Use/Land Cover and Ground Truthing

 

LULC Map of Pascagoula, Mississippi
This week's laboratory assignment involved the creation of a Land Use/Land Cover map of a certain city in Mississippi. I was able to practice my editing and classification skills to create the map using a series of polygons in a created shape file. Upon creating these polygons, I classified them based on their unique land use/land cover characteristics and then labeled them. Then, I used the random point generator tool to create a series of 30 points that I would use to assess the accuracy of my classifications with Google Maps' Streetview. I really enjoyed this assignment, because I felt that my own unique perspectives and classifications were able to be used and it feels like the maps I am producing are becoming increasingly complex. It was difficult at first to distinguish between the different LULC classes, but miniscule differences (such as building shape/size, presence of parking lots, vegetation coverage, etc.) began to make all the difference.