M2 - Cartography

 

Cartography Map

For this week's laboratory assignment, I created two maps. The first of which showcases the University of West Florida's location within Escambia County. The second is an inset map with Escambia County's location in Florida. I was able to use many more features of ArcGIS pro, including: 

  • Clipping
  • Bookmarking
  • Inserting text and pictures
  • Legend
  • Scale
  • Compass
  • Symbology
Throughout the assignment, I made many choices and ultimately tailored the map to look the way I thought would best represent the data.
I am very proud of my final map design! Although it looks fairly simple, it took a great amount of time troubleshooting and playing with the features to get the map to exactly the point in which I wanted it. Being able to make many cartographic choices that altered the overall appearance of the final map was my favorite component of this lab assignment. My biggest struggle was keeping my files organized while working through the lab. I find that it is best to use folders within folders to do so and am going to use a more methodological approach for the next lab. However, this week I performed much better in being able to locate different features on ArcGIS Pro and saved much more time between switching windows by using two laptops.